Tuesday, February 23, 2010

::week vii::

Been a busy couple days... I finished my "discussion section" for Graphic Design History, and I butchered my midterm too. I'm content. The wonderful Luscious took me out for some ramen tonight, so that made me happy too.

Current poster progress:
My instructor was happy with the results, but bashed my font choice for the numbers on the poster (=I was secretly bashing myself as I did the poster too... Note to self: Don't use fonts that you obsessively downloaded from DAFONT.COM in highschool. They look cheap.) ...Interesting pointer; if you look carefully, some fonts are NOT designed in a balanced manner. For example, I was using "A Theme for Murder.std" on one of my posters, and apparently the lower case latters aren't designed to match the upper case letters; the thickness of the letters are slightly different. WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN. ...Well I probably should have known.

My instructor's friend from Crambrook was visiting as well, and he gave me a quick crit of my work; he was impressed by my Beardsley-inspired poster, and told me I should refine it and throw it into my portfolio, just to show off the level of craft. Riah actually said I could probably use that poster for the final, but I've decided to stick to my butterflyxspider idea and develop/improve it, since the majority of my classmates preferred that poster over the other one, and it'll be a good challenge for me.

+... My teacher was all "OH I KNOW YOU'RE GREAT AT DRAWING OUT FONTS"... so here I am, trying to draw out a new set. ---> Using bits and pieces of a spider web (photo) and assembling them into letters. Good times.



Working working working.

update update:



not too shabby.
Now working on my copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment